I’m always happy to get in a good strength training session at CrossFit, especially when it involves my legs. I feel more comfortable each week that I’m able to accomplish the workout. Wish I could go more often, but I do need to make time to run, and with work, you know how that goes. This week, as part of the warmup we did Front Squats. I used a 75 lbs barbel. We had to do 7 sets with 5 reps. I think the last time I did this workout I was only able to squat 55 or 65 lbs. This is an example of a front squat:
The WOD (workout of the day) was only 10 minutes. It consisted 500m rowing on the stationary rower, 400m run outside and then Hang Power Cleans, as many as you could do for the remainder of the 10 minutes. I used a 55 lbs barbel and was able to do 62 reps. My thighs were pretty sore for the next few days. It’s weird because I like the soreness. It just means I have to look forward to building muscle. Here’s an example of the hang power cleans:
This week I was really bad about getting enough sleep, and I remembered that I wrote that as one of my “Steps for Success” in the beginning of the Training Journal. I’ve also been overeating junk food a bit too much recently. So since it’s a new week, I am re-reading my goals and steps to make this week successful. I already started out with a terrific long run, but I’ll talk about that next post. Here’s how Level 9 went:
- Sunday – Key Run 80 easy with my girl G. Avg 10:04 min/mi. The weather was somewhat decent 79° and 89% humidity. I actually felt pretty sluggish starting out, but once warmed up I felt ok.
- Monday – Rest
- Tuesday – Key Run Fartlek 3 brisk 2 easy, 8x. Had to be done after work. It was 88° and sunny. The heat was disgusting, and ended up walking during the “easy pace” intervals. I actually was pretty happy and comfortable with the brisk paces. When I got home I did PiYo DVDs; 20 minutes upper body and 20 minutes lower body.
- Wednesday – Cross-Train + run 15 easy. This was CrossFit day (as mentioned above) and the warmup already consisted of some running drills anyway.
- Thursday – Rest. Legs were way too sore for anything.
- Friday - 40 minutes with 6×20 sec strides. Had a good steady pace for the most part. It was 82° overcast with 74% humidity. My fast strides could have been a bit faster, but I attribute that to the leg soreness.
- Saturday – Rest
This week I threw out my blue Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 shoes. They were my first pair of runners I got fitted for. It was bittersweet. I tried to hang onto them to wear to work but my feet were too achy by the end of each day, and I knew it was time to just let them go. They will be missed :(
I can’t believe I’m already on Level 10! That leaves me to 10 weeks for the half marathon and 21 weeks to the Disney Marathon!